San Francisco CA
Vaughn Smith is a concept and production cg modeler, both mechanical and organic, Mari Texture artist, Look development & particle simulation technical director for the games and Visual Effects industries. Vaughn currently works for Industrial Light and Magic as a Creature Modeler. He is also an AnatomyTools.com VFX Supervisor for the Animal Anatomy project, and an assistant anatomy instructor. Previous work experience also include Industrial Light and Magic, Tippett Studios, Lightstream Animation, and other clients in the commercial and entertainment industry.
Stormcloud FX- South San Francisco, CA
Senior Hard Surface Modeler- Black Mirror 2017 (TV Series)
Industrial Light & Magic- San Francisco, CA
Creature Modeler – ILM XLab: Border Crossing 2017 (Virtual Reality Experience)
· Modeling and Texturing for hero real-time characters for Unreal Engine 4
Creature Modeler – Kong: Skull Island 2017 (Film)
· Giant Squid modeling and creature design
Creature Modeler – Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows 2016 (Film)
· Corrective Shape Modeling on Leonardo, Donatello, Michelangelo, Raphael, Rocksteady, and Bebop
Creature Modeler/ Texture Artist- Jurassic World 2015 (Film)
· Modeled hero Adult Triceratops
· Modeled and textured hero Baby Triceratops
Creature Modeler/ Texture Artist - Tommorowland 2015 (Fiilm)
· Eiffel Tower modeling and texturing
· George Clooney digital double costume modeling
· Robot villains digital double modeling
Creature Modeler – Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2014 (Film)
· Corrective Shape Modeling on Leonardo, Donatello, Michelangelo, and Raphael
VFX Supervisor- Animal Anatomy Product Line 2016 -2017 (Reference Figurines)
· Supervise Animal Anatomy team on full production process including, reference, modeling, texturing, lookdev, lighting, posing, and product output.
· Modeling, texturing, lookdev, and output prep for Horse V1, V2, and V3 figure.
Character Artist, Concept Modeler, Look Dev, Technical Director 2012 -2015
· Product PreVisualization Textures and Renders on 1:6th Male Anatomy Figures and Variations
· Product PreVisualization Modeling, Texturing, and Renders, from Andrew Cawrse Designs for client Cirque du Soleil
· Sculpted 1:6th Male Variations (Product Not Yet Released)
Anatomy Assistant Instructor- July 2012- Current
· Anatomy critiques and demonstrations at AnatomyTools Workshops and ZBrush training to in house staff.
· Mastering Human Anatomy with ZBrush at Blizzard Entertainment, November 2015 AnatomyTools.com
· Mastering Human Anatomy with ZBrush at Valve Software, February 2014 AnatomyTools.com
· Human Anatomy Workshops - Traditional Sculpting - AnatomyTools.com 2012-2013
Tippett Studios- Berkeley, CA
CG Modeler/ Texture Artist- Anhui Flying Dream 2016 (Ride)
· Model hero landmarks including Wanda Mall Interior and Exterior, Anquing Bridge, and Mother Mountain.
· Model and texture various environment assets in each shot, such as cars, trucks, scooters, huts, and vegetation.
CG Modeler - Monster Strike 2016 (Cinematic)
· Model transforming hard surface wing pack for the Devil Winger
· Model Facial Shape Library for Nephrilos and Green Smydra
Lightstream Animation Studios- Petaluma, CA- Feb. 2010- May 2013
Character Modeler/ Creature Designer- The Moon and The Sun 2015 (Film)
· Design and Model hero creature Mermaid from Iain McCaig artwork and actress Fan Bing Bing photography
Character Modeler- Witches 2011 (Film: Not Yet Released)
· Sculpted 4 main characters from Brian Froud designs
· Facial modeling blendshape on the Grand Witch
Simulation & Effects TD - SharkNight 2012 (Film)
· Cloth/Skin Simulation on fish bait shots
· Particle Simulation debris on several underwater shots
Academy of Art University- San Francisco, CA- September 2010- current
Character and Hard Surface Modeling Instructor
· Teach undergraduate and graduate students modeling in ZBrush and Maya, focusing on Anatomy and character modeling techniques for film, cinematics, and video games.
Maya: ZBrush: Mari: Vray: 3DSMax: Mudbox: Marvelous Designer: Photoshop: Nuke: Traditional Sculpture: Drawing
· 1st Place Organic Modeling in Academy of Art University Spring Show 2009
· 2nd Place Organic Modeling in Academy of Art University Spring Show 2008
Academy Art University- 2005-2009
San Francisco, CA
BFA School of Animation Visual Effects, 3D Modeling